Friday, May 18, 2012

Do you really want my milk?


Hey, I know you humans love drinking my milk and I'm an altruistic kind of cow so I don't mind so much.  But are you sure my milk good for you?  (Yes, I know, it's good for my calf...)


I had happy hour with Bob, a senior executive from the milk industry the other night, and after a few drinks, he spilled some interesting facts to me that he said your milk industry never told you:


1) My milk contains 59 hormones and of those 59 hormones one is a powerful growth hormone called Insulin- like Growth Factor ONE (IGF-1). Interestingly, it is identical in us and you humans.  IGF-1 is a normal part of my milk because my newborn calf is supposed to grow quickly! The medical world says IGF-1 is a key factor in the rapid growth and proliferation of breast, prostate and colon cancers, likely ALL cancers.


2) 80% of the protein in my milk is casein.  Casein is a olymer used to make plastics and is in processed foods as a binder.   Casein is a powerful allergen... a histamine that creates lots of mucus.


3) My milk is allowed to have my feces in it, which is a major source for bacteria. To sanitize water one is told to boil it (212 degrees F) for several minutes, but my milk is typically pasteurized a few times for only 15 seconds at only 162 degrees F.


4) My milk is allowed to have up to 750,000 somatic cells and 20,000 live bacteria, which amounts to a 20 million live squiggly bacteria!


5) 89% of America's we dairy herds have the leukemia virus.  Do you really want to ingest my viruses?


So, what can you use over your cereal or to dunk those oreo cookies? (What strange eating habits humans have...) I heard that almond, rice, soy, and hemp milk are healthful and tasty alternatives.


- Almond milk – store bought or made by soaking and blending raw almonds with water.  You can also use cashew, macadamian, hazelnut, or any kind of nuts.  It can be flavored and enhanced with vanilla beans, sea salt and ginger. 


- Rice milk - usually store bought and sweetened with sugar.  Not much fat, protein or calcium, so can be improved by adding brown rice protein and virgin coconut oil if you want protein and fat.


- Soy milk – usually store bought but buy unsweetened.  Choose organic and non GM as much as possible.  Can be enhanced with ginger, sea salt and a touch of gentle sweetener like coconut palm sugar.  Alternate soy milk with milk alternatives as too much soy can have thyroid suppressing effect.


- Hemp milk - made from hempseeds and water, naturally high in omega 3 and 6 and protein, can be enhanced with gentle sweetener like coconut palm sugar and vanilla beans.


It's okay, you can leave my milk alone, I won't take it personally.  I have plenty newborn calves to feed it to and they love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment